Maine West had an opportunity to join a tie atop the Central Suburban North boys basketball standings when it hosted Deerfield on Friday night.
But that opportunity slipped away for Maine West as it lost to Deerfield for the first time in three tries 37-35 at Rider Gym in Des Plaines.
Conor Hart had 11 points to lead Maine West (8-8, 3-3), which beat Deerfield 51-49 in their CSL North opener and 48-44 in the Wheeling tournament.
Kevin Garcia and Tom Kukec each hit a pair of 3s but Maine West shot just 4-for-15 behind the 3-point arc and 29.6 percent from the field (13-for-44). Eric Porter and Max Sacks scored 12 points apiece for Deerfield (7-9, 3-3).
Niles North (13-5, 4-2) moved into a tie for first in the CSL North as it won its eighth straight game 56-54 over Glenbrook North (13-4, 4-2).
St. Viator-Nazareth, ppd.: The snowstorm postponed the East Suburban Catholic Conference game in Arlington Heights to Feb. 13 at 7:30 p.m.
St. Viator (15-2, 3-0) did see its hopes of winning an ESCC title get a boost as St. Patrick (8-7, 2-2) won 54-46 at Notre Dame (14-5, 2-1).
Maine West High School
St. Viator High School
Deerfield High School
Conference: Central Suburban North
- McNeill steps down at Maine West
- Boys basketball: Northwest all-area team
- Color Kohler, Lakes a winner
- Zaumseil leads Barrington victory
- Same Ramsey, but some very different challenges
Conference: East Suburban Catholic
- Images: Stevenson vs. St. Viator
- West Aurora knocks out Benet
- North Chicago stops Carmel
- More hoops for Morrissey, Stevenson
- Images: Carmel vs. North Chicago