The College of Lake County Foundation's 25th Keith Ryan scholarship fund and sports banquet will be held Thursday at Midlane Golf Resort in Wadsworth.
The banquet will recognize three CLC scholarship recipients: Phil Brahm (journalism), Dan Ryan (basketball) and Sarah Braden (softball). In addition, 12 sports figures will be inducted into the Lake County High Schools Sports Hall of Fame and six people will be inducted into the Waukegan Sports Hall of fame.
The banquet is being held in memory of the late Keith Ryan, a popular sportscaster who spent nearly 25 years promoting local sports in Lake County. Proceeds from the event help fund three annual $1,000 scholarships for CLC students -- one for a student pursuing a career in print or broadcast communications and two for a sophomore male and female student athlete. Since the scholarship's inception, more than $60,000 has been raised for journalism students and student-athletes.
The event begins at 5:30 p.m. with a reception, followed by dinner and the program at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $50 per person or $360 for a table of eight and are available by calling the Foundation at (847) 543-2646.
• Braden is a 2012 graduate of Lakes Community High School who lives in Lake Villa. She was a varsity softball starter all four years at Lakes. At CLC, she was the starting shortstop for the Lancers softball team last spring and earned All-Skyway Conference honors. Her future educational plans include completing a bachelor's degree and a master's degree in graphic design.
• Brahm, of Wadsworth, graduated from Warren Township High School in 2012, where he was an active member of the Blue Devils' marching band. He graduated despite numerous life-threatening injuries obtained from a serious car collision during his senior year. Now in his second year at CLC, he is the editor-in-chief of the Chronicle newspaper. Upon completing his associate degree, Brahm plans to transfer to a four-year university to study journalism.
• Ryan is a 2012 graduate of Libertyville High School, where he was a member of the basketball, cross country and track teams. He was named to the Daily Herald's "All-Small" Team in both his junior and senior years. In cross country, Dan was a three-time All-Conference selection, was selected to the all-region squad and served as team caption as a senior. In track, he was named all-conference in the 3,200-meter run. After CLC, Dan intends to transfer to a four-year university and complete a bachelor's degree in physical education. His goal is to coach at the high school or collegiate level.
• The Class of 2013 Lake County High Schools inductees are: Danyelle Aber (Warren High School), Wilbur Borrero (Antioch and Waukegan High School), Pete Campbell (Warren High School), Cyndie Donner Flegner (Round Lake High School), Gary Edge (Round Lake High School), Jerry Grunska (Northern Officials Association), Craig Hunter (Libertyville High School), Fritz Kazlausky (Grant High School), Lester Long (North Chicago High School), Courtney DeBolt Slinko (Stevenson High School), Robin Straus (Lake Forest High School) and Jon Wasik (Mundelein High School).
• The Waukegan Sports Hall of Fame inductees are: Rob Gust, Tom Kerr, Vince Pierce, T.J. Rajcevich, Mike Uremovich and Paul Waidzunas.